1. What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade is a partnership which connects Kenyan consumers and producers via a product label, the FAIRTRADE Mark. Through their everyday shopping, Kenyans can now make a positive difference to their country and Africa. As Fairtrade offers farmers and workers a better deal and improves the terms of trade, producers can rely on a sustainable income. This allows them the opportunity to improve their lives and plan for their future.
Fairtrade works with farmers who grow a variety of crops like coffee, tea, cocoa, flowers, fresh fruits etc. For a full list of all Fairtrade producers in Kenya and Africa, visit our database here.
For more information on Fairtrade, click here.
2. What are the benefits of Fairtrade
The benefits of Fairtrade for producers include the following:
- Fairtrade minimum price - farmers receive a minimum price that covers the average costs of production
- Fairtrade premium - on top of the Fairtrade minimum price producers receive an extra sum that is invested in social, environmental and economic developmental projects
- Environment - Fairtrade promotes sustainable agricultural practices and raises awareness on the climate change challenges producers are facing
3. Is there a difference between fair trade and Fairtrade?
Fairtrade as one word refers to the organisations behind the FAIRTRADE Mark. Fair trade as two words refers to the wider movement.
Fair trade in Europe started as a grassroots movement around 40 years ago. The aim was to alleviate poverty in developing countries by building direct, sustainable relationships with disadvantaged producers and providing fair access to markets in Europe. The aim is much the same today, though the market for fair trade has grown massively since those early days. Organisations committed to fair trade principles have set up relevant associations to work more effectively together. Fairtrade is one of these organisations.
4. What Fairtrade products are available in Kenya and where can I buy them?
Fairtrade licensing activities in Kenya have just been kicked off. For the latest list of products and where you can buy them, click here.
5. Why should I sell Fairtrade products?
Africa's growing middle class offers an opportunity for African consumers to contribute to sustainable development through their everyday shopping. With the increase in intra-Africa trade, the FAIRTRADE Mark is becoming an ethical standard for consumers in the South.
The FAIRTRADE Mark is the most worldwide recognised and trusted sustainability label. Especially in Europe, Fairtrade has become trusted brand which allows consumers to make a change through their own shopping habits.
As we are only just introducing the mark in Kenya, this is your chance to differentiate yourself from your competitors and to show your customers your commitment to changing Kenya and Africa for the better.
6. I am interested in selling Fairtrade products. What should I do?
Great! If you wish to distribute and/or sell Fairtrade products, please contact us directly and we can guide you through the process. Read more here.
7. I want to spread the word on Fairtrade. How can I help?
You are not the only one. Fairtrade is not only about buying Fairtrade products, its an international campaign for a fairer trade system. Join thousands of other volunteers across the world in our journey for a better world. Click here if you want to learn more about how you could help.